faked by Monday, January 23rd, 2006

I look down the tracks and see you coming—and out of every haze & mist your darling rumpled trousers are hurrying to me—Without you, dearest dearest I couldn’t see or hear or feel or think—or live—I love you so and I’m never in all our lives going to let us be apart another night.

It’s like begging for mercy of a storm or killing Beauty or growing old, without you . . . Come Quick—Come Quick to me . . . Lover, Lover, Darling—

Portions of a letter from Zelda Fitzgerald to Scott Fitzgerald, 1920.

8 Responses to ““I Look Down the Tracks and See You Coming” (Zelda Fitzgerald to Scott Fitzgerald, 1920).”

1. Aww—this is great, gorjus! “Darling rumpled trousers”—priceless. Here’s hoping neither of the swell folks in panel two are headed for an asylum.

2. The Diplomat says:

“I lost my capacity for hope on the little roads that led to Zelda’s sanitorium.”

-FSF

I, on the other hand, lost my capacity for hope on the little road leading to fottsy-drinks at WC Don’s.

3. The Diplomat says:

fottsy=footsy, btw. It’s not any kind of hey-hepcat-lookie-me-I’m-Gojus alternate spelling of “foxy.”

j/k

4. HMBT says:

Love your work! Love it, love it, love it. I come by here when I get stuck…you are a great unsticker!
    De glueing agent for my creative blahs…thanks for posting!
    Heather
    BAD! Kitty Art

5. vendela says:

Didn’t she die in a fire at the sanitorium? I’ve always loved the name Zelda.

6. La Cat says:

My uncle had a mule named Zelda. Um, as a pet. When he (my uncle) passed away a few years ago, my mom inherited Zelda. I have a feeling Zelda is going to outlive my parents, and I will be forced to care for her. Joy. Zelda is very fat and very spoiled. She is handfed apples and carrots every day of her life.

7. Jaxxie says:

This is beautiful. And I’m not just saying that because I’m biased.

Wow! I mean, everything. Jaxxie all swooned up, the words, the colors, wow.